To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategorySoftware Engineering
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.Job Details
Performance Engg , Salesforce Database team
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas: a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes’s “World’s Most Innovative Company” five years in a row and one of Fortune’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.
About the Position:
The Database engineering team is based in the Bay Area, Toronto and India. The team has the DNA of building highly scalable, mission critical enterprise products. As part of building our team in India, we are looking for engineers and leaders who are passionate about working on the RDBMS technology of massive scale and one that thrives with continuous innovation.
We are seeking creative and dynamic performance engineers to deliver the tools, analysis, and optimizations that will drive the Salesforce Core database technology to new levels of performance and scalability with every release. Our performance engineers work in a highly collaborative environment. We partner closely with database and storage system developers, application performance engineers, infrastructure engineering, and our analytics team to deliver all the pieces that add up to high performance in production at scale.
As a senior performance engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Develop, run and analyze a comprehensive suite of performance workloads and system benchmarks for release qualifications, research, and development projects
- Support application performance teams with expert query performance analysis
- Investigate production database performance issues
- Work closely with systems and application developers to deliver performance fixes and proactive improvements.
- Devise, prototype and evaluate system performance and scalability improvements (algorithmic efficiency, concurrency control, memory management, etc.)
- Profile the database engine (C code) and storage service (Java code)
- Conduct benchmarking, analysis and modeling for hardware selection and capacity management
- Collaborate with multiple teams on telemetry, dashboards, and analysis facilities to manage the performance of our rapidly growing production fleet
- Provide technical training in database performance analysis to the Salesforce engineering community
- BS or higher degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- MS or PhD in databases or distributed systems is a plus
- 3+ years experience in professional software development
- 3+ years experience in performance engineering for large scale software systems
- Strong CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and system design
- Strong coding skills (Java or C/C++)
- Proficiency in SQL database programming
- Experience with SQL tuning, analyzing query plans and traces
- Fluency with Linux commands, interfaces and OS concepts
- Expertise in data analysis and visualization
- High energy and enthusiasm for technical problem solving, learning and growth mindset
- Great communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent communication skills and problem-solving skills
Desired Skills & Experience
- Java profiling tools, JVM tuning, heap dump analysis
- Working with source control systems (Git preferred)
- Linux shell scripting, Python
- Statistical analysis and experimental design
- Cloud based platforms and infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with Splunk for performance monitoring and analytics
Either or both of the below skills
- Database and SQL experties
- Extensive experience with SQL query optimization, knowledge of DB optimizer internals
- Depth in database architecture and internals
- Systems Expertise
- Operating system concepts including processes, threads, memory management, networking, file systems, and storage
- Network technologies like DNS, Load Balancing, SSL, TCP/IP, HTTP
- Good computer architecture knowledge
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.