There is a place for you at T. Rowe Price to grow, contribute, learn, and make a difference. We are a premier asset manager focused on delivering global investment management excellence and retirement services that investors can rely on today and in the future. The work we do matters. We invite you to explore the opportunity to join us and grow your career with us.
In this role as Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Infrastructure Observability you will help formulate, develop, and implement a team of Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) focused on the observability, sustainability, scalability, measurability and recoverability of T. Rowe Price’s innovative cloud & on-prem solutions by leveraging automation and best-of-breed tools. The successful candidate will have a strong operations & engineering background, is hands-on when needed, and has expertise in the cloud environments (public, private), infrastructure operations, DevOps practices, CI/CD toolchain and systems, code build and deployment, incident response, and 24x7 monitoring and support.
The candidate will also have extensive experience operating within a SRE function within a complex, distributed environment. They will have a demonstrated ability to work horizontally and vertically within an organization with diverse partners and sponsor groups.
Role summary and job responsibilities
- Possesses extensive knowledge in own area of expertise and extensive in-depth knowledge of the broader portfolio for comprehensive understanding of up/downstream impacts across technology infrastructure
- Responsibility for the design of technology solutions to prevent or minimize service disruptions
- Prevents technology service disruptions through technology solution recommendations and automations
- Fosters a culture of deep learning through blameless post-mortems to improve the shared goal of reliability across services
- Transform operations teams by facilitating internal change to adopt SRE standard methodologies across the organization and driving strategic growth in this area within Global Technology
- Analyzes incidents impacting technology availability for high-level trends across the broad portfolio
- Drive initiatives to reduce or prevent technology failures in a complex, distributed technology environment
- Pulls together information from disconnected systems into cohesive views of the technology portfolio for identifying trends, redundancies, and risk
- Demonstrates outstanding awareness of the complexities of the tech and asset management industries
- May lead initiatives of varying degrees of complexity that span multi-functional areas and of varying degrees of complexity
- Contributes to definition of target state architecture and design of the technology environment
- 10+ years of relevant technology experience
- 5+ years building and supporting solutions in Amazon AWS
- 5+ years of experience building and running a DevOps and/or SRE function
- Experience with implementation and operation of the chaos model at scale
- Strategic and program-level implementation experience
- Demonstrable experience implementing new technology, tools, and platforms
- System administration and scripting experience
- Demonstrable experience leveraging automation to proactively prevent or quickly remediate incidents
- Fluent in multiple programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, GO, Node.js, .Net Core, etc.).
- Proficiency with database development (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)
- Proficiency with defining, right-sizing, tracking, and reporting on Service Level Objectives (SLOs), Service Level Indicators (SLIs), system availability, and the progress and outcomes related to reliability
- Experience with implementing and managing Error Budgets
- Proficiency with understanding and explaining incident situations and their recovery plans to prevent recurrence
- Knowledge/experience driving dashboard standardization across the ecosystem for observability, APM and infrastructure monitoring, and application-specific logging
- Knowledge/experience with observability tools such as New Relic, Elastic Stack, Prometheus, Grafana, Splunk, and cloud native tools is desirable
- Knowledge/experience with cloud management tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Vault, and Vagrant.
- Works independently, with guidance in only the most complex situations
- Makes sound decisions with limited facts or resources.
- Balances strategic and pragmatic concerns when solving problems
- Adjusts communication style and materials to suit a given audience
- Able to clearly articulate operational principles, practices, and policies
- Stays abreast of industry trends and technologies
- Accountable for work of self and others; sets standards around which others will operate
- Maintains a broad internal professional network and knows when to engage/activate it
- Develops or mentor’s diverse talent on the team
- Ability to be on-call and/or work during off-hours
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
We strive for equity, equality, and opportunity for all associates. When we embrace the power of diversity and create an environment where people can bring their authentic and best selves to work, our firm is stronger, and we create greater value for our clients. Our commitment and inclusive programming aim to lift the experience for each associate and builds allies for our global associate community. We know that a sense of belonging is key not only to your success at the firm, but also to your ability to bring your best each day.
Benefits: We invest in our people through a wide range of programs and benefits, including:
- Competitive pay and bonuses as well as a generous retirement plan and employee stock purchase plan with matching contributions
- Flexible and remote work opportunities
- Health care benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Tuition assistance
- Wellness programs (fitness reimbursement, Employee Assistance Program)
Our policies may change as our working lives evolve. Yet, our commitment to supporting our associates’ well-being and addressing the needs of our clients, business, and communities is unwavering.