Deloitte’s US Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) Offering Portfolio enables our client’s ability to grow, shrink, and fundamentally change the nature of their business and competitive position in a dynamic market full of change and disruption. By providing merger and acquisition services from beginning to end, we bring a large scope of capabilities to the market and opportunity for our practice and firm. The US M&A Offering Portfolio works with Industry teams to identify trends that could lead to M&A or strategic cost events and enables us to sell front-end strategic work creating pull through for transformative services.
Work you’ll do
As an IT Strategy Manager, you will lead and deliver complex client engagements that help refine the client’s IT strategy with a focus on inorganic growth by conducting operational diligence, divestiture support and post-merger support for clients as they assess JVs, Partnerships, Acquisitions, or potential sales.
Manager level responsibilities include:
- Facilitate M&A IT diligence discussions with clients and target companies across a broad set of industries with a focus on identifying risks and value creation opportunities across IT organization, IT processes, applications (custom-developed and off-the-shelf), infrastructure, cloud technology, and cyber-security; and demonstrate a keen understanding of how technology enables business strategy and operational capabilities
- Identify gaps and risk associated with IT enablement, IT maturity and IT technical debt and provide recommendations on how to mitigate the risks in the M&A context
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of IT costs and financials and able to quickly conduct cost transformation and cost estimation analysis through a combination of 3rd party benchmark and proprietary data and tools
- Assess technology architecture from data, infrastructure and integration standpoint to provide comments on reliability and scalability of IT environment
- Absorb multiple streams of information, quickly synthesize data, and draw directionally correct conclusions about the assessed target company
- Develop key diligence artifacts including agendas, data request lists, interview guides, high-level roadmaps, one time and recurring cost analysis models, benchmark analysis, synergy analysis, contract analysis, IT-related transition service agreement schedules, high-level integration, divestiture and/or standup roadmaps, client deliverables and other related artifacts
- Serve as the primary day-to-day contact for client executives
- Develop scope statements and pricing estimates for prospective clients
- Identify and collaborate with appropriate subject matter advisors to best serve clients with excellence
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team (including leadership roles) and as an individual
You will be expected to produce and oversee the quality of deliverables and effectively manage the team to ensure exceptional performance.
The M&A Strategy Practice
M&A Strategy advises clients regarding the inorganic growth, portfolio rationalization, and associated risk profiles that serve as a catalyst for a transaction, restructuring and cost transformation event.
Our professionals assist clients to:
- Optimize their portfolio
- Identify if target companies fit strategic objectives
- Work with senior executives—in alignment with their corporate strategy—to drive profitable growth and enable them to compete effectively in their industry. This is provided through corporate strategy, organic and inorganic growth paths, target profiles and investment thesis
- Test the information that informs a client’s M&A deal valuation and post-merger acquisition plan
- Develop hypotheses for value creation and transformation creatively; Assess value, costs, timing and risks for opportunities through strategic and operational diligence. Our professionals assist clients with critically evaluating a target’s attractiveness through operational assessments and risk mitigation strategies. We link these findings to deal value for informed transaction decision-making, negotiations, and eventual strategic and financial value realization.
- Self-starter who is comfortable in an energetic and dynamic "roll-up-your-sleeves" culture
- Substantial technology experience in the majority of the following areas: IT organization, IT processes, applications (custom-developed and off-the-shelf), infrastructure, cloud technology, and cyber-security; and has a keen understanding of how technology enables business strategy
- Proven ability to be resourceful in the event candidate is not familiar with certain subject matter areas that arise during diligence activities
- Proven ability to synthesize data, identify risks and value-creation opportunities, and develop perspectives and implications as part of an overall concrete assessment of the subject company
- This candidate will have the ability to present a coherent perspective in verbal, written and analytical formats, as part of a broader M&A diligence effort
- A candidate must have IT M&A due diligence or M&A IT Service Delivery Experience in the following areas:
- Participating in setting engagement objectives and scope
- Framing issues and developing high level approaches to resolve same
- Developing work plans for components of engagements, coordinate activities between work streams and identify changes in scope
- Strong writing and communication skills, including designing deliverable content
- Ability to work towards meeting tight timelines, as needed
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments
- Managing teams to precisely reflect the engagement contract and client needs and strive to improve deliverable quality through verification and validation of results
- Collaborating with practitioners in other practices and businesses
- Partnering with senior executives to define how they employ M&A – in alignment with their corporate strategy – to drive profitable growth and enable them to compete effectively in their industry
- Managing service excellence by identifying key client business issues, determining client needs by supplementing the standard assessment techniques and tools with innovative approaches, evaluating and validating analysis and developing recommendations for the client in the context of the overall engagement
- Managing day-to-day interactions with executive clients and sponsors; develop and maintain contact with top decision makers at key clients
- Participating and leading aspects of the proposal development process; contributing to the development of proposal pricing strategies
- Identifying and developing add-on sales opportunities
- Performing role of counselor and coach; actively participate in staff recruitment and retention activities; provide leadership and support for delivery teams and staff in local offices
- Improving internal processes, and promote knowledge sharing in the team, by contributing to the community of practice, blogs, and other forms of market eminence
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years consulting and/or industry experience
- Had lead responsibility for the delivery of at least 10+ IT diligence projects for strategic or financial clients
- Travel up to 50% (Due to COVID-19, non-essential travel has been suspended until further notice)
- Responsiveness including the ability to respond to emails / calls within a reasonable turnaround based on client situation and needs
- MBA or technology-related Masters degree with 7+ years relevant work experience with at least 3+ years of consulting experience and at least 3+ years of practical IT operational experience
- Experience leading digital transformation efforts across ERP, cloud, infrastructure, custom-developed technologies, etc.
- Experience leading pre- and post- merger M&A IT activities
- Had lead responsibility for the delivery of at least 20+ IT diligence projects for strategic or financial clients or other similar experience from other industry or consulting roles
How you’ll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte’s impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you’re applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.