Novelis – Guthrie, KY is seeking an experienced Lab Technician for our automotive finishing plant in Guthrie, KY. This Lab Technician is responsible for providing timely testing of production material to support Guthrie Manufacturing Units daily operations. This includes daily production testing, product quality control and special investigations. Specifically, this position entails utilizing metal preparation testing equipment to ascertain and report metal characteristics. The Lab Technician will provide guidance to manufacturing groups based on sample analysis and mechanical testing results obtained in the lab.Responsibilities & Qualifications:
- Provide prompt, accurate test data as required to support operations. Provide real-time feedback to allow manufacturing adjustments based on sample analysis and mechanical testing results obtained in the Laboratory.
- Develop reporting tools to make complex data more easily understandable. Provide Laboratory results to Quality Engineers/Product Engineers and other Novelis personnel for further analysis.
- May be required to interact with vendors and maintenance personnel to help troubleshoot and resolve equipment issues.
- Operate sample inventory management, sample preparation, and sample testing equipment.
- Be an active participant in reliability issues related to Laboratory equipment.
- Maintain a close working relationship with PPQ, PTL and HTL personnel.
- Assist in the implementation of training plans, development of training documentation, and training of new Laboratory Technicians.
- Support audits and findings gap closure.
- Address and resolve certification issues.
- Participate in problem solving resolution and verify / validate corrective actions.
- Actively support EHS policy, align decisions and actions with the EHS management system, and integrate EHS performance in day-to-day operations.
- Support the implementation and maintenance of the plant’s Quality System by serving as a resource.
- Engage in continuous improvement activities that will help create a safer and more efficient Laboratory environment.
- Perform other tasks as required by PPQ team.
- Use of:
- Tinius Olsen 5000# Horizontal tester
- Instron tensile testers
- Bruker XRF testing equipment
- Conductivity meter
- Leco Carbon Determinator
- Bend tester
- Various Presses, Shears and ovens
- Tensilkut Router
- Milling machines
- Precise measuring devices
- ICP-OES (spectroscopy instrument)
- PH Meter
- Must be willing to work 12-hour, rotating shifts that include some holidays and weekends.
- Ability to work effectively without close supervision in a challenging work environment while maintaining a positive outlook and striving for world class process improvements.
- Adequate computer skills to navigate lab software and communicate throughout the organization is required
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk and stand for most of the shift.
- Experience in a lab setting is a plus.
Novelis’ Guthrie facility is located in Guthrie Kentucky approximately 30 minutes from the Tennessee state line near Clarksville Tennessee and Hopkinsville Kentucky. As Novelis’ newest facility Guthrie will house a heat treatment and pretreatment line that will serve the North American automotive market and employ 125 residents. In addition to hunting fishing and hiking residents enjoy the Guthrie Transportation Museum which is the hub of the city’s renewal efforts. The Guthrie team enjoys partnerships with Hopkinsville Community College Todd County High School Guthrie Fire Department and several local Rotary Clubs. Novelis recognizes its talented and diverse workforce as a key competitive advantage. Novelis provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. All terms and conditions of employment at Novelis including recruiting hiring placement promotion termination layoffs recalls transfers leaves of absence compensation and training are without regard to race color religion age sex national origin disability status genetics protected veteran status sexual orientation gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal provincial or local laws.