We're looking for a Sr. Backend Engineer to join the team at Zapier. We’re on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Zapier has helped millions of people build businesses through the power of automation.
As a Sr. Backend Engineer in the Integrations Foundations team, you will work alongside other Engineers to build out experiences designed in close collaboration with our Product Manager and Designer that will help users new to Zapier get oriented to the product faster and help instill an automation mindset that will allow them to unlock the true power of our products.
If you’re interested in advancing your career at a fast-growing, profitable, impact-driven company, then read on…
Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you meet these criteria:About You
- You have worked with teams before on large projects. You embrace service ownership by teams. You understand how to design systems in a distributed manner across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers - we handle 100s of millions of API calls every week and are growing fast.
- You care about users. You spend most of your time coding but are driven by solving user needs. You contribute to design and product strategy discussions with a broad understanding of both the constraints and opportunities created by technology.
- You value code quality. You understand that testing your code and good code coverage is essential in delivering a solid product. You know how to document well and lean on automation whenever possible. You have an understanding of tech debt and can formulate a plan to address it, but know how to ship production-ready code.
- You have a systems-oriented mindset. You're inquisitive. You build a deep understanding of problems and are good at spotting patterns. You understand how to design and implement end-to-end software systems.
- You value our values. At Zapier, our values are at the heart of how we work together and how we think about our customers. As a remote-first company, our values help develop trust and ensure we collaborate effectively to democratize automation. You recognize how our values can empower meaningful work, you thrive in a collaborative setting, you are eager to continue growing, and you’re excited to be part of the team.
Zapier is a fast-growing, remote-first company. You'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Develop and maintain Zapier integrations.
- Develop and maintain internal tooling to speed up the creation, expansion and maintenance of Zapier integrations.
- Develop processes and tooling to inform the work on our Integrations, like monitoring or metrics.
- Develop and improve services that execute API calls to thousands of 3rd party APIs. REST, GraphQL, XML-RPC; we handle them all!
- Interact with internal and external partners to find solutions
- Identify and resolve technical debt
- Refine maintenance issues by evaluating technical feasibility and reproducibility.
- Ship code to millions of users every week.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- Research how to use AI to boost the creation and expansion of the integrations.
- Research how to migrate integrations to the latest framework with AI to reduce friction.
- Fix issues priority issues impacting thousands of customers.
- Manage partner's deprecations (eg. a new API version in Slack forces to implement changes in the Slack integration to avoid service disruption. The detection of deprecations is partially automated).
- Identify main upstream blockers and articulate projects with other teams.
We believe all Zapiens should be rewarded competitively and equitably, using practices that are simple and transparent. This philosophy ensures we’re able to find, grow, and retain exceptional people from a broad range of backgrounds. Here’s how we define our compensation principles:
- Competitive: Zapier pays well among the technology sector.
- Equitable: Consistent pay practices; competency-based pay.
- Simple: Pay is well understood, and pay practices are built for scale.
- Transparent: Zapiens know how pay works, including how their pay is determined.
The pay ranges for this role are:
United States: $167,000 - $210,000 USD
Canada: $167,000 - $210,000 CAD
A Candidate's compensation package is finalized once the interview process is concluded and accounts for experience, competencies (job knowledge, skills and abilities) and internal equity. We use a competency-based approach to base pay, which means we set pay for all Zapier employees based on their competency and skills demonstrated in their role. In alignment with that philosophy, the upper half of a pay range is typically reserved for individuals who have consistently demonstrated a high level of job knowledge and skills for their current role and level while at Zapier.
For more information on Zapier’s Total Rewards please click here.How to Apply
At Zapier, we believe that diverse perspectives and experiences make us better, which is why we have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We're looking for the best fit for each of our roles, regardless of the type of education or companies in your background, so we encourage you to apply even if your skills and experiences don’t exactly match the job description. All we ask is that you answer a few in-depth questions in our application that would typically be asked at the start of an interview process. This helps speed things up by letting us get to know you and your skillset a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application. We know we’ll make mistakes from time to time, so if you ever have questions about where you stand or about the process, just ask your recruiter!
Zapier is an equal-opportunity employer and we're excited to work with talented and empathetic people of all identities. Zapier does not discriminate based on someone's identity in any aspect of hiring or employment as required by law and in line with our commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Equity. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Zapier is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will work to provide reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even though we’re an all-remote company, we still need to be thoughtful about where we have Zapiens working. Check out this resource for a list of countries where we currently cannot have Zapiens permanently working.
Zapier is on a mission to make automation work for everyone so that every person and every business can move forward faster. Zapier is the leader... Read more