Houston, TX – Washington DC – Boston, MA – Remote
Consulting Principal, Power Market Modeling, North America
We are a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. The company delivers next-generation information, analytics and solutions to customers in business, finance and government, improving their operational efficiency and providing deep insights that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. Commodity Insights has more than 50,000 key business and government customers, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500 and the world’s leading financial institutions. Headquartered in London, Commodity Insights is committed to sustainable, profitable growth.
Working under limited supervision, the position requires a strong, experienced analyst (3-7 years of experience, minimum) to work on our North American consulting team, focusing on electricity markets. This position is a key role within the consulting function. When successful in this role, you can expect to advance to a more senior position with broader responsibility for consulting delivery, project design, and ultimately business development. You will work alongside other quantitative modelers focused on North American power, including modeling and market simulations, demand forecasting, general market/RTO analysis, and renewables/policy modeling.
Specific Job Duties:
- Update and use the AURORAxmp power market simulation model and interface to address client questions, typically related to price forecasting, scenario and sensitivity analyses, risk assessment, portfolio valuation, and strategic assessments.
- Success in this role would soon result in being able to manage or independently progress small- or medium-sized consulting projects.
- Provide quality control for analysis and deliverable content.
- Support senior consulting staff activities by producing deadline-driven, quick-turnaround analysis and market research, providing insights to senior staff and suggesting analysis improvements.
- Support the senior consulting staff development of thought-leading research papers.
- Continuously develop subject matter expertise in a particular/designated subject or focus area; staying informed on current industry trends to broaden and build upon subject matter knowledge.
- Communicate with clients by phone and email, make presentations to clients, and travel to meet clients and make presentations, as needed, as the candidate evolves in role.
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, engineering, mathematics, computer science, operations research, or energy studies required.
- Candidates with a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in one of the above-listed disciplines are highly preferred.
- Candidates with substantial education in both economics and engineering will be viewed very highly.
- Minimum of 3-7 years directly related experience traditionally acquired by working in industry, government, or consulting.
- This position requires a strong desire to work with numbers, a commitment to consistent and accurate quantitative analysis, and a desire to continually improve analytical processes.
- This position requires an interest and commitment to energy issues, particularly electricity/power.
- Applicants for this position should be versatile, adaptable team players.
- Knowledge of some or all of the following: electricity markets, FERC regulations, EPA regulations, and evolving regional greenhouse gas policies.
- Use and application of power market simulation models (e.g., AURORAxmp, PROMOD IV, MAPS, or PLEXOS is highly desirable but not required. AURORAxmp experience preferred.
- Aptitude and experience with large databases and working on quantitative problems using multiple software packages is necessary.
- Aptitude/interest in learning new computer software.
- The position requires strong analytical skills. Ability to think quantitatively and qualitatively in forming judgments. Ability to advance analysis with incomplete inputs and knowledge also required.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Solid problem-solving, judgment and decision-making skills for activities of moderate to high complexity.
- A keen attention to detail and highly effective organization and prioritization skills, including the ability to stay on task and maintain focus in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have the ability to work independently with limited supervision, but also to understand the needs of other consultants and researchers, and the timing of those needs.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office applications required (Excel, Word and PowerPoint); experience with databases and VBA or another language preferred.
- Significant experience with SQL is highly desirable. Knowledge of Python is also desirable.
- Experience with T-SQL preferred, including the ability to quickly construct simple queries in SQL Server Management Studio or similar tools and to understand and improve existing stored procedures and database elements.
- This position will operate under normal office conditions and will include moderate phone use and moderate to heavy computer use.
- This position may be required to travel up to 20% for events, round tables, client visits, business development, and other business related needs. (Post-COVID-19)
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $80,000 to $150,000. Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive plan.
S&P Global Commodity Insights enables organizations to create long-term, sustainable value with data and insights for a complete view on the global energy and commodities markets.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions on the basis of merit, capability and equality of opportunity, and without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on a person’s ability to perform his or her job.
Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Posterhttp://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
US Candidates Only: The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are the cornerstone of everything we do at PowerToFly. Together, we build a culture of belonging that guides our mission, values, services, products, employees, clients, and community. This active and intentional foundation fuels our innovation and impact to advance economic equality in underrepresented communities. We are a global team committed to mitigating bias and lifting barriers in our recruitment and hiring processes.
PowerToFly is an equal opportunity employer and ensures individuals seeking employment are considered without regard to race, color, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other qualities protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.