Avaaz is one of the world’s largest online campaigning movements, with nearly 70 million people from every country in the world.
Our movement launched in 2007 with an ambitious but simple mission: using the connectivity of the internet to empower people of all nations to act together to close the gap between the world we have and the world most people everywhere want.
Our model enables people to channel their individual voices and resources into a powerful collective force at tipping point moments to impact the pressing global challenges of our time, from climate and ecological crises to human rights abuses and the dismantling of democracy. The organisation is deeply mission focused, and has achieved a broad range of victories over the last 15 years that you can read about here.
At this pivotal point in human history, Avaaz is delivering an ambitious 2030 strategic plan to seize key victories in the crucial next decade - to secure ecological survival, defend democracy and human rights, and build healthy and resilient cultures.
The Avaaz team of around 100 staff is spread across 6 continents, campaigns in 21 languages, and is 100% funded through small donations from individual Avaaz members, with an annual revenue of $25-30m.Position Overview
Avaaz is seeking a dynamic and mission-driven Head of People to lead its multicultural, international and fully remote People Team. As a senior member of the organization, this role will shape and foster Avaaz's staff and policies to effectively deliver on the organization's mission. Reporting to the COO, the Head of People will collaborate closely with senior leadership, Department Heads, and the People Team staff to cultivate a thriving and transformative culture that supports the organization's growth.Core Responsibilities
The Head of People at Avaaz will be responsible for leading and overseeing the following areas of work, with the support of the People Team staff:
- STRATEGIC HR LEADERSHIP - Lead strategic HR for the organization, including overseeing our human-centered HR practices, compensation and benefits, contracts and compliance, performance assessments, leave policies and other related HR functions.
- CULTURE DEVELOPMENT - Embed, model, and support the ongoing evolution of Avaaz culture and culture principles to support and develop a transformational team capable of delivering our mission.
- HR COMPLIANCE - Establish organizational compliance policies and practices that effectively support the organization’s mission, and manage risk across a multinational organisation.
- TEAM & ORG LEADERSHIP - Provide effective and empowering leadership for the People Team (currently a team of 4) and across the organization, and promote a culture of high performance, continuous improvement, and innovation.
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT - Monitor and evaluate staff performance and innovate performance management to meet mission goals.
- SENSITIVE ISSUES MANAGEMENT - Develop and lead the management of disciplinary issues, with a focus on strategic, creative and mission-focused solutions.
- DEIA LEADERSHIP - Ensure DEIA best practices and perspectives for a multinational cross-cultural team are sewn into all areas of HR policies and practices, as well as organizational development.
- HIRING & RECRUITMENT MANAGEMENT - Lead our strategic talent planning, including oversight of recruitment and retention.