Location: Remote position
Reports to: CEO
The Sr. VP of Policy Engagement oversees The Recycling Partnership’s team responsible for advancing and implementing policy critical to the improvement of the US recycling system. Through subject matter expertise, smart policy engagement and advocacy, critical stakeholder convening, and alignment of The Partnership’s policy implementation efforts, this role sits on the executive team, and oversees a growing staff.
WHO YOU ARE:
We’re inclusive, so be yourself! We celebrate and support the differences that make each of us unique and appreciate the culture-add that each new employee brings to our organization. This job will be well suited to you if you:
- Have experience with policy engagement at the state and/or Federal level.
- Have experience translating big ideas into tangible, measurable action.
- Are familiar with the US recycling landscape.
- Are an excellent problem solver with strong negotiation skills.
- Develop and manage productive relationships with a range of diverse interests while working as part of a team, fostering consensus, and collaborating with partners.
- Are a manager who practices active listening, encourages personal and professional growth, team camaraderie and can coach a diverse team.
- Are fair, thoughtful, and collaborative.
WHAT WE WILL TRUST YOU WITH – and how you will use your strengths.
This position is comprised of approximately:
· 30% Strategic Direction: Working with key staff to actualize the critical impact policy can have in advancing a robust recycling system.
· 30% Leadership:
*Team leadership and engagement with the executive team, budget management, etc.
· 20% Stakeholder Engagement:
*Collaborating with policy makers, public sector leaders, private sector representatives, NGOs, etc.
· 20% Proactive Policy and Policy Implementation program management:
*Oversee key policy research, develop educational resources, organize and facilitate meetings, etc.
Key responsibilities include:
- Own the engagement, position, & strategies for stakeholder engagement, proactive policy advancement, and policy implementation.
- Oversee the proactive federal and state policy advancement, working closely with a team of experienced subject matter experts.
- Engage with CEO, leadership team and Board of Directors on scope and opportunities.
- Drive internal alignment with other Recycling Partnership teams to advance well-coordinated opportunities.
- Prioritize workstreams, develop timelines and budgets, and deploy team resources.
- Manage and provide leadership, guidance, and development opportunities to staff on the policy engagement and implementation team.
- Oversee team budget.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERTISE FOR THIS JOB
what matters in this role
- A minimum of 7- 10 years of professional experience in government relations, government service, lobbying, political consulting, federal and state campaigns, and/or public policy with a corporation, NGO, state legislator, regional organization, or trade association.
- Experience in advocacy, demonstrating a high level of understanding of state policy and regulation development.
- Strong organizational skills to manage competing priorities and multiple overlapping projects.
- Experience working with a variety of public- and private-sector officials across the political spectrum.
- A strong network of contacts with government officials, including legislators or their staff and agency representatives.
- A proven ability to successfully execute public policy, political, and advocacy objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and experience interacting with the media.
- Strategic planning experience.
- Are a demonstrated self-starter with experience in managing and developing remote staff and project management expertise.
- Are a proven consensus-builder with varied stakeholders (business, government, NGO).
- The ability to thrive in a creative, fast-paced, and highly professional corporate culture that emphasizes excellence, collegiality, and teamwork is a must.
Who we are:
At The Recycling Partnership, we are solving for circularity. As a mission-driven NGO, our team is committed to advancing a circular economy by building a better recycling system. We are mobilizing the people, data, and solutions across the value chain to reduce waste and our impact on the environment while also unlocking economic benefits. Our team works:
- on the ground with thousands of communities to transform underperforming recycling programs
- partners with companies to achieve packaging circularity, increase access to recycled materials, and meet sustainability commitments
- works with government to develop policy solutions to address the systemic needs of our residential recycling system and advance a circular economy.
To learn more about The Recycling Partnership, our mission, our vision and our team, visit https://recyclingpartnership.org/about/
How we work:
- Focused on advancing circularity through transforming the recycling system in the United States with a focus on mission, action, and measurement of our impact.
- Actively committed to our Core Values and what they stand for: Act with Intention & Integrity; Embrace Change & Drive Action; Partnership is Part of our Name for a Reason, Play Well with Others; Pursue Growth and Learning; Have Fun; Be your Whole Self and finally, Take Time to Reflect and Dream.
- Employee-focused. Take a look at this short video about The Recycling Partnership team.
- Collaborative in our approach to success.
- Dedicated to excellence in everything we do.
What we can offer:
A comprehensive employee benefits package including:
- Health insurance options under United Healthcare
- Dental & Vision insurance
- Employer paid Life, STD, and LTD insurance
- 11 paid holidays
- 4 weeks of mandatory vacation a year (office closures)
- Unlimited PTO
- 12 Weeks Paid Parental Leave
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with company match
- 529 Education Savings Plan
- Home Office Stipend - $1,500/year
A company culture that’s unbeatable and includes:
- Work/Life Balance – we don’t just say it, we actually mean it
- Flexible schedules
- Career Growth
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- DEIB Seminars and Courageous Conversations
and so much more…