Varo is a challenger app-based bank account for the millions of ambitious, responsible millennials who are hands-off with their money and want a bank that’s going to work for them. Varo is building a unique mobile banking experience to challenge the traditional banking system. Unlike traditional banks or other fintech apps, Varo is building an all-in-one solution with frictionless, integrated, and automated deposit, budgeting, savings, and lending products that help customers bank with ease and achieve better financial outcomes. There’s no reason for a bank branch on every corner anymore when all customers need is a smartphone to meet their banking needs. Based in San Francisco and privately held, Varo has raised $34M with an early funding round led by Warburg Pincus in May of 2016, one of the largest-ever for an early-stage financial technology company.
We are currently looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering team. If you are looking for growth - this position is for you. We are a startup, and we need to build a lot of new systems. This is a unique opportunity to learn amazing technologies, be part of a great team, improve the financial lives of others, and have a lot of fun too! In our Engineering team we value teamwork, technical excellence, and quality!
- 5+ years experience in Java software development.
- Deep understanding of SOA, ORM, microservices
- Experience in building public and internal REST APIs.
- Strong experience with transactional databases.
- Big data and machine learning is a plus.
- Understanding of rule engines, event processing, real-time data analysis (preferably Drools, Spark).
- Experience with scalable messaging systems (AWS Kinesis or Kafka is preferred).
- Deep understanding of the software security practices.
- Experience with NLP is a big plus.
- Knowledge of Maven and good understanding of CI and continuous deployment.
- Experience in unit-testing.
- Comfortable to use Jira, Confluence, Jenkins, Git.
- Understanding of Scrum process.
It would be great if you also had the following but it is not a deal breaker:
- Experience with financial systems (banking, lending, payments).