American Express Technology is looking for a Software Engineer I to join a dynamic and innovative development team. Our team builds multi-functional, rich global credit authorizations solutions, critical to the core of American Express’ business. The team uses the Agile methodology for project delivery and operates in a fast paced business environment. From integrating with American Express Network partners, such as international banks, to developing highly available solutions and serving internal and external customers there will always be new and unpredictable challenges in this environment.Responsibilities:
- Build, deploy, and handle solutions for company-wide infrastructure challenges.
- Ensure high availability for underlying platforms and infrastructure for application use.
- Provide the tooling and guidance for engineering teams to monitor their service availability against pre-determined SLOs.
- Monitoring and alerting of our production environment.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend opportunities for automation. All automated processes should be maintainable, simple, and leverage a CI/CD pipeline release process, where possible.
- Collaborate with other software engineers around patterns and practices for highly available, fault tolerant and resilient applications.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, encouraging, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to tackle complicated problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex
- 3-5 years’ experience of Linux Operating Systems, with strong background in troubleshooting
- 1-3 years Cloud experience; IaaS and PaaS for on-prem and/or public clouds (EKS, GKE, AKS)
- At least 1 year Production experience of native Kubernetes or related enterprise container platforms such as Open Shift
- Knowledge of Public Cloud Governance frameworks, architectures, configurations, services, and solutions with AWS or GCP
- Strong automation skills in Linux including bash, python, and shell
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Ansible, Git)
- Experience with modern source control repositories (e g Git) and DevOps toolsets (Jenkins/ Ansible etc) and familiarity with Agile/ Scrum methodologies
- Experience with cloud-native and microservice architectures and an understanding of design principles for scalability, performance, and reliability
- Experience with distributed systems, asynchronous messaging, and networking protocols
- Experience with open source applications, frameworks, and libraries
- Capable of establishing and communicating technical practices for large organizations
- First-hand experience designing highly available platforms and practices for large organizations
- Experience leading infrastructure at large scale (i.e. hundreds or thousands of nodes)
- Understanding of regulated environments and compliance standards
- Team-driven software development experience (ie. git workflows, agile software practices, etc.)
- Experience designing and implementing APIs for (REST, GRPC, etc.)
- Hands-on experience designing, implementing, and consuming standardized APIs (REST, GRPC, etc.)
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
If the role you are applying for is designated as hybrid or onsite, you will be required to demonstrate that you have completed your primary COVID-19 vaccination series (i.e., 2 doses for Moderna/Pfizer and 1 dose for J&J) in order to work in or visit any of our offices. This requirement is subject to legally required accommodations.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.