Hearst Newspapers is seeking an experienced Senior Editor to help build an ambitious new brand called Week&, (weekand.com)
Week& aims to help people make the most of their free time. As Senior Editor, you will pitch, report, and top-edit stories for Weekand.com, working closely with the Editorial Director and Social Media Editor to execute a strategic content plan and grow a loyal audience. This position will be responsible for publishing some 50 articles a month. This is a new role, working on a highly visible project designed to change Lifestyle content for Hearst Newspapers. You will work closely and cross-functionally with other teams across Hearst Newspapers such as SFGate.com, Chron.com, and MySanAntonio.com. The ideal candidate will have 5–7 years of experience within service journalism, with a track record of writing, editing, and producing exceptional digital content along with assigning work and managing a network of contributors. You are passionate about a range of lifestyle topics, from home design to wellness and travel, and know how to leverage e-commerce, SEO, and social media packaging to build traffic and revenue. You are committed to editorial excellence, and you can juggle and manage multiple work streams. This position reports to the Editorial Director.
Location: This is a hybrid role, based at Hearst Tower in New York City, and working east coast business hours.
- Publish ~50 stories per month through a mix of writing, editing, and producing.
- Ensure all work meets the highest quality standards while also meeting KPIs.
- Lean on analytics and SEO tools to track performance and inform future work.
- Take a creative, thoughtful, data-informed approach to writing lifestyle and service content; aim to publish content that builds trust while informing and delighting readers.
- Work collaboratively across teams, including business intelligence, editorial, commerce, revenue and product.
- 5 years of digital editorial experience, ideally in lifestyle or service journalism
- Experience executing an SEO-focused content strategy.
- Solid understanding of the digital media environment and how to create winning, trusted content from conception to publication.
- Personal interest in a range of lifestyle topics, as listed above.
- Experience with content operations and a proven ability to manage contributors.
- Comfort navigating a new CMS and training others to do the same.
- Good project management skills with experience managing multiple projects for different teams at one time.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Google Search Console, SEMrush, Trello, Air Table, AP Style or similar.
- Strong communication & collaboration skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
In accordance with applicable law, Hearst is required to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role if hired in New York City. The reasonable estimate, if hired in New York, is $70k-$80k. Please note this information is specific to those hired in New York. If this role is open to candidates outside of New York, the salary range would be aligned to that specific location. A final decision on the successful candidate’s starting salary will be based on a number of permissible, non-discriminatory factors, including but not limited to skills and experience, training, certifications, and education.