At Stryker we are dedicated to improving lives, with a passion for researching and developing new medical device products. As an engineer at Stryker, you will be proud of the work that you will be doing, using cutting-edge technologies to make healthcare better. Here, you will work in a supportive culture with other incredibly talented and intelligent people, creating industry-leading medical technology products. You will also have growth opportunities as we have a culture that supports your personal and professional development.
Need another reason to apply? Check out these 8 reasons to join Stryker's engineering team: https://www.strykercareersblog.com/post/8-reasons-to-join-strykers-engineering-team
We are proud to be named one of the World’s Best Workplaces and a Best Workplace for Diversity by Fortune Magazine! Learn more about our award-winning organization by visiting stryker.com
Who we want
Challengers. People who seek out the hard projects and work to find just the right solutions.
Teammates. Partners who listen to ideas, share thoughts and work together to move the business forward.
User-focused creators. Passionate creative leaders who design with the user in mind, developing medical devices that help change patients’ lives and create the next generation of user experience in the OR.
Curious learners. Designers who seek out cutting-edge research and information to expand and enhance their ability to design medical devices.
Collaborative partners. People who build and leverage cross-functional relationships to bring together ideas, information, use cases, and industry analyses and lead the development of best practices.
Analytical problem solvers. People who go beyond just identifying root causes but evaluate optimal solutions and recommend comprehensive upgrades to prevent future issues.
The Program and what you get
Stryker, a global leader in medical technology takes great pride in their people, and that’s why we’re looking to expand our talent. As a result, we are looking for the best and brightest graduates to strengthen our team and drive our business going forward.
The Rotational Intensive Specialized Experience (RISE) Program, which lasts 2 years and includes 4 six-month rotations, is designed specifically for highly talented Industrial Designers who are looking for exposure to and experience in different disciplines of design. Participants will be immersed into new product development, research, concept generation, usability, branding, manufacturing and so much more. Each individuals’ rotations are tailored to fit their passion and skill sets along with current business needs. RISE designers will not only gain a broad knowledge of our Research & Development functions but will also have the opportunity to attend additional leadership and personal development trainings, seminars and product labs. Stryker’s RISE Program also offers exposure to senior leadership with end of rotation presentations, townhalls and small group forums. Upon successful completion of the program, participants are eligible to apply to any open roles within Stryker.
A development journey that’s tailored to you!
The RISE Program is designed specifically for highly talented individuals who are looking for an accelerated career progression. Participants will benefit from:
- Networking with Senior Leadership
- Exposure to cutting edge technology
- Design mentorship
- Personal and professional development
- Gain broad perspective of R&D functions
All resulting in inspiring & fulfilling careers, enduring friendships, and accelerated career progression!
As a program participant, graduates will experience 4 six-month rotations and be placed on one of the following teams for each rotation:
- Interventional Spine (IVS)
Advancing interventional care from diagnosis to delivery, IVS provides surgeons with an extensive and innovative product portfolio for vertebral augmentation, vertebroplasty and radiofrequency ablation procedures, along with a diagnostic tool and decompression treatment advances for contained disc herniations. Participants will work within the design phase process researching, developing, and delivering new products to market.
- Neurosurgical (NS)
NS offers products for the specific needs of Neurosurgical (cranial), Spine and ENT (ear, nose, throat) physicians with a comprehensive suite of products developed for the precision required by these specialties. The product innovation is focused on improving our customers’ existing surgical procedures, while exploring new techniques to further advance the clinical outcomes of their patients. Participants will work within the design phase process researching, developing, and delivering new products to market.
- Orthopaedic Instruments (OI)
OI delivers innovative products and services for the Orthopaedic ecosystem. This team’s focus is on power tools used on upper and lower extremities, and participants will work within the design phase process researching, developing, and delivering new products to market.
- Surgical Technologies (ST)
ST delivers products that enable caregivers to provide a safer, simple experience for their patients. They utilize technology to enhance products and create safe solutions for everyone in the operating room. Participants will work within the design phase process researching, developing, and delivering new products to market.
Stryker’s Interaction Designer collaborates with Global Marketing and R&D team members, applying user research methodologies and technical design skills to generate insights and concepts that lead to the development of innovative medical devices and systems. User Centered Design techniques are key skills required to determine appropriate user experience, function, usability, aesthetics, quality, and safety. The Interaction Designer plays a supporting role in planning and leading user observation research, synthesis and prioritization of insights as well as creating usable and aesthetic design solutions through digital prototypes. Successful candidates should have the technical skills to carry out empathic design process from insight gathering to concept ideation and development. Merging an understanding of human, customer and business needs, this role is expected to create high quality design solutions that can be commercialized. Our strongest candidates will demonstrate self-management of their time and design deliverables.
- Assess competitive brands and offerings, develop understanding of brand value.
- Through observational research, gain understanding of clinical procedures and workflow to identify pain points.
- Plans design activities in partnership with design team and project manager
- Schedules/manages personal time to accommodate design activities aligned with project plan.
- Under minimal supervision collaborate and influence the product architecture and user experience interactions.
- Apply Stryker brand language and usability principles to create compelling documentation that supports design decisions.
- Develop digital prototypes to communicate and test with team and users.
- Support planning and facilitation of customer feedback and usability testing sessions.
- Implement changes to UI to reduce risk and improve usability as needed. Basic understanding of human factors engineering, ergonomics, and industry standards.
- Follow fundamental industry standards, design requirements and test strategies which apply to regulatory requirements.
- Follow R&D design controls, change controls, and risk management, per the Quality Management System.
- Contribute to patent portfolio through unique concept ideation and development.
- Collaborate with external vendors and partners.
- Contribute to our creative culture throughout the design community.
- All other duties as assigned.
What you need
- BFA or BS in User Experience (UX) Design, User Interface (UI) Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related degrees; we will only consider candidates with December 2023 or spring of 2024 graduation dates.
- 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA (or equivalent).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and not require employment-based sponsorship now or in the future.
- Self-starter with demonstrated efficient work methods, analytical & problem-solving skills, and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- The individual should enjoy working in a fast paced, dynamic and results orientated team environment.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively work cross-functionally and externally as required.
- Basic knowledge of design methodologies and principles.
- Experience in an FDA regulated or regulated industry beneficial.
- High level of PC Skills required.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Portfolio of work (online or PDF).
- 0-2 years relevant experience.
- Knowledge of Adobe CS, XD, Figma, ProtoPie, Miro, QT.
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with our customers, is driven to make healthcare better. We offer innovative products and services in Orthopaedics, Medical and Surgical, and Neurotechnology and Spine that help improve patient and hospital outcomes.
We grow talent. We give you the opportunity to develop your career based on your strengths and potential, including the possibility to move geographically, functionally, laterally and vertically. Stryker is a career destination for engaged, passionate and talented people who are driven to seek the innovation, growth and opportunity that only we offer.
Join our global team of 40,000+ people!
12 paid holidays annually
Health benefits include: Medical and prescription drug insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, critical illness insurance, accident insurance, hospital indemnity insurance, personalized healthcare support, wellbeing program and tobacco cessation program.
Financial benefits include Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), 401(k) plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), basic life and AD&D insurance, and short-term disability insurance.
For a more detailed overview of our benefits or time off, please follow this link to learn more: US Stryker employee benefits
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with its customers, is driven to make healthcare better. The company offers innovative products and services in Medical and Surgical, Neurotechnology, Orthopaedics and Spine that help improve patient and healthcare outcomes. Alongside its customers around the world, Stryker impacts more than 130 million patients annually. More information is available at stryker.com.
Know someone at Stryker?
Be sure to have them submit you as a referral prior to applying for this position. Learn more about our employee referral program on our referral page
Stryker is driven to work together with our customers to make healthcare better. Employees and new hires in sales and field roles that require access to customer accounts as a function of the job may be required, depending on customer requirements, to obtain various vaccinations as an essential function of their role.