- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience with Hard Drive technology.
- Experience with testing requirements, best practices, and algorithms for storage devices, and using scripting and automation to execute test algorithms and analyze results.
- Experience with lab equipment (scopes, analyzers) to collect traces.
- Experience collecting and organizing data to reproduce results and explain what happened.
- Understanding of to characterize hard disk drives (or similar hardware) over a large population using statistical analysis.
- Knowledge of the appropriate data to collect to facilitate quick, accurate failure analysis from vendors.
- Understanding of the storage system: physical, functional, logical, mechanical, electrical, software, thermal etc. as well as how to test the interfaces.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Google's custom-designed machines make up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Hardware Testing Engineering team ensures that this cutting-edge equipment is reliable. In the R&D lab, you design test equipment for prototypes of our machinery and develop the protocols used to scale these tests for the entire global team. Working closely with design engineers, you give input on designs to improve our hardware until you're sure it meets Google's standards of quality and reliability.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Create test plans and coordinate resources across test environments.
- Perform electrical, functional, performance and reliability testing for hard drives, and analyze results to ensure that they meet Google's requirements.
- Report bugs and drive corrective action where needed with external suppliers and internal development teams.
- Maintain and improve the qualification process.