Location: Negotiable within the U.S. We are open to remote work from various locations within the U.S., preferably in Eastern or Central time zones.
We are committed to creating a diverse workforce which is why have invested in a third-party blind recruiting solution that removes personal identifiers from CVs & cover letters. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Salary: We will consider applicants for Content Strategist & Information Architect and Senior Content Strategist & Information Architect, commensurate with experience. Range across these positions is $90,000 - $115,000.
Echo&Co is a unique human-centered creative and technology firm, dedicated to doing good in the world. We have a clear vision to be an inclusive team of talented people who want to come, stay, and do their best work.
Echo&Co helps impactful organizations and social ventures create inspiring human journeys, the digital platforms to enable them, and the internal capacity to improve them over time. This requires us to lead client teams with complex stakeholder landscapes through substantial organizational transformation. Our work is richly challenging and uncommonly rewarding.
Echo&Co is a certified B Corp dedicated to advancing social and environmental benefit through our work. Promoting equity and inclusion is reflected in our core values and our team, who are equally passionate about their creative disciplines, doing good in the world, and building a community where everyone has access to the same opportunities and feels respected and valued. This is the foundation of our company and community, and extends to each team member, with utmost respect for individual experiences and contributions across race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and/or ability.
You can learn more at echo.co/about-us.
About this role:
The Content Strategist & Information Architect takes the best practices from the digital and web content strategy and information architecture fields and applies them to the context of social, cultural, and environmental good. They help social sector organizations — nonprofits, foundations, social ventures — strengthen their relationships with constituents through online content publishing, increase their digital content literacy and sophistication, and attract new activists, donors, and supporters.
The Content Strategist & Information Architect has experience working on large, complex website projects and leading diverse client stakeholder groups through all stages of delivery, from gathering requirements and prioritizing business goals, to designing sitemaps, taxonomies, content templates, authoring workflows, and content production plans. The Content Strategist & Information Architect must have previous success in leading content strategy and information architecture projects, nurturing strong working relationships with peers and clients, leading client workshops and presentations, and helping client organizations to manage organizational change. The Content Strategist & Information Architect also must possess knowledge of how to manage his/her performance against profitability and utilization goals.
This position is non-supervisory. It is remote and reports to the CEO.
- Deep experience leading content strategy and information architecture formulation and articulation on large-scale website and/or web application projects.
- Demonstrated expertise creating content strategies and models, metadata and taxonomy requirements, sitemaps, CMS specifications, content governance documentation, and the like.
- Confidence in leading client stakeholder and executive meetings to gain insights into the organization’s content objectives, and in designing interview and discovery methods to fit client needs and project goals.
- Leading clients through brand, content and UX strategy, being a champion for using great online content strategy and information architecture to improve brand perception and engagement.
- Conducting user research and evaluation to support proposals and projects.
- Supporting project managers in maintaining and strengthening high-level client relationships by working with client stakeholders and leading them through decision-making and change management.
- Excellent skills in information architecture, content strategy, user experience, strategic thinking, and analysis, and ability to provide leadership and strategic direction to account teams and the firm as a whole.
- 8+ years of content strategy and information architecture experience within a nonprofit organization and/or agency environment, with a focus on website and application planning and requirements analysis, specification development, project design, information architecture, content strategy, user experience strategy, and implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communication, psychology, business, library science, graphic design, or a related field. Master’s degree in journalism, human factors, library science, or a related field a plus.
You’ll Also Need:
- Ability to develop original thought leadership in engagement strategy, content strategy, and information architecture within the social sector to advance Echo&Co’s public standing as a leading agency and to help the practice attract new clients.
- Ability to create and leverage requirements assets such as use cases, user stories, process flows, wireframes, prototypes and presentations.
- Strong technical experience and acumen, ideally with understanding of digital content publishing architecture, development principles, and web technologies.
- Strong influencing, negotiation, and communication skills.
- Must thrive in an environment that promotes change, embraces innovation, and runs on teamwork.
- Ability to think strategically and work both collaboratively, as well as independently.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems at both strategic and tactical (functional) levels.
- Understanding of internet technology and web development processes.
- Understanding of advocacy and engagement strategies and best practices.
- Must have a social good orientation with an interest in working for mission-driven clients, including progressive nonprofit organizations, socially responsible enterprises, government agencies, and multinational institutions that seek to make positive change.
- Willingness and availability to travel occasionally for job-related activities (post-COVID).
- Ability to achieve more with less, using lean principles to guide the development of great work while conserving scope, which is particularly important when working with nonprofit clients.
- Ability to present effectively both internally and to clients. Explain choices and address issues and concerns; help partners reach consensus.
- To be observant, strategic, and maintain an open mindset, learning from engagements and adapting readily to the needs they present, while maintaining stability in scope and timelines.
- To build strong, collaborative, honest relationships with your colleagues and clients, focusing on setting shared vision and goals, open communication and collaboration, and direct resolution of uncertainty or conflict.
- To see risk and change as opportunities to deepen the relationship and trust with clients, and readily engage teams and clients in conversations that manage expectations, lead change, and open possibilities for new collaboration.
- To advocate passionately for the needs and wants of users, while also tactfully balancing organizational and technology constraints; use user advocacy as an important tool for advancing organizational change with clients.
- To ground your content and architecture work in observation, research, and analytics and then validate through testing.
- To support the leadership team by reporting and advising senior management with perspectives and guidance on the content strategy and information architecture practice of the firm, including evaluation, analysis, and synthesis of program and practice performance.
Echo&Co is a certified B Corp and an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.