We are looking for a Senior Python Developer who will help make it seamless for our customers to capture telemetry from their applications to be analyzed in Splunk Observability Cloud.
As a Software Engineer on the Splunk APM team, you will be responsible for developing open-source software libraries and agents that monitor and instrument developer applications with OpenTelemetry-compatible metrics and tracing. You'll use your experience to instrument or extend the instrumentation of a broad ecosystem of third-party frameworks and libraries. You'll also help handle the release, testing, support, and documentation.
Our engineering teams are small and highly impactful. You will learn from the best and help us architect and build the application of our future. You will also get many opportunities to share and talk about your work through channels like conferences, meetups, and blogs.
- You will participate in the design, implementation, maintenance, and evolution of Splunk Observability’s systems.
- Contribute to open-source, distributed tracing instrumentation libraries and agents
- Verify or improve existing framework and library instrumentations
- Implement new instrumentations to extend the scope of supported frameworks, libraries, and applications
- Integrate with OpenTelemetry-compatible tracers and semantic conventions
- Perform releases and manage the distribution of Splunk's open-source instrumentation libraries and agents
- The ability to adapt quickly and can solve problems through uncertainty.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Passionate about building elegant and powerful tools to solve customer problems.
- Proficiency in Swift and Objective-C.
- Experience with programming in multiple languages (Java, Python, Go, Ruby, PHP, Node.js C#/.Net) is a huge plus
- Experience working on open-source or development-in-the-open projects is a plus
- Previous exposure to application instrumentation (metrics and/or tracing) as well as open-source web frameworks and clients is a plus
- Working knowledge of Docker containers and cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, and/or Azure)
- Extensive knowledge of Unix/Linux (Windows experience is a plus)
- BS CS or EE degree, or equivalent training or work experience
- 5+ years related experience (or Masters and 4+ years related experience, or Ph.D. without experience)
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.