Elastic is the company behind the Elastic Stack - Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, Elastic helps people explore and analyze their data differently using the power of search. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Elastic offers their employees benefits like:
At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
We're looking for a Team Lead to join the Elasticsearch Search team as a front line engineering manager. This manager will coach and lead a globally-distributed team of 5 - 8 senior Java engineers responsible for delivering a robust and feature-rich search experience, including contributing to improving the search experience in Lucene.
Our company is distributed by intention. We hire the best engineers we can find wherever they are, whoever they are. As a result, our team is diverse and distributed across continents. We collaborate every day over email, GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. The ability to lead a distributed team is critical.
At our best, we write fast, scalable, and intuitive software. We believe that the best way to do that is to code review for every change, decide big things by consensus, and strive for incremental improvements. We believe the team should be aware of how our customers (both technical and non-technical) use our products and be empowered to make bold decisions.
You won’t always be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but you are expected to guide most of them. We need a person who has made critical decisions in the evolution of a big product and platform over multiple years and releases, and who can lead a team with a coherent vision while making appropriate compromises along the way.What You Will Be Doing
- Manage, mentor and lead a globally distributed team of approximately 8 experienced engineers
- Lead the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritization; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Work with our Product Management team to ensure requirements and the “why” are clear
- Foster a culture of mutual respect and collaborative decision-making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Identify staffing requirements and help drive recruitment of high quality colleagues
- Support the development and training of direct reports through regular performance evaluations
- Be an amazing person to work with, somebody who sincerely empathizes with others
- Mentor the software engineers in the team as well as other Area Leads and Team Leads
- Experience leading diverse teams of senior software engineers as a line manager (people manager)
- Experience leading complex engineering projects that cross engineering teams
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer and strength in computer science fundamentals to understand the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Strong written and spoken English communication skills
- A compassionate approach to communication, a good sense of humor, and a genuine curiosity about the success and growth of the people you work with
- You've built things with Elasticsearch before, and understand how distributed systems operate and the limitations and advantages.
- Experience of Lucene or building search experiences.
- You've worked in open source before and are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave