MI/Panjiva is a data-driven technology company that uses machine learning to extract insights from global trade data. This unstructured data describes the behavior of the many real-world entities such as companies, products, and ports, that make up international trade in goods across borders. Our technology and expertise allow us to extract and link these entities from our database of billions of individual records. This data feeds the Panjiva platform, through which we provide powerful search, analysis, and visualization capabilities to our customers.
Panjiva’s data helps power the decisions of our thousands of clients, including Fortune 500 companies, hedge funds, and logistics providers, in addition to universities, government agencies, and NGOs.
The Data Science team builds tools and models that enable the Panjiva platform. Our data scientists work with highly complex, often unstructured, multidimensional data from dozens of countries in many different languages. We use NLP, clustering, classification, regressions and a host of other algorithms / ML tools to curate and extract insight from our data. All of this work directly feeds our site, giving our customers the tools they need to answer their toughest questions.
Data Science is core to the value Panjiva provides our customers. As an example, we built a custom text classification model that better handles rare terms (think Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly), multiple languages, and misspellings that traditional language embedding techniques struggle with. This model allows our customers to search our data by industry standard product categories, rather than relying on text-based searches.
We are seeking talented data scientists to join our team. Strong candidates are able to leverage a wide array of machine learning and statistical techniques and dig deep into our data with an eye for detail. You’ll collaborate with a variety of teams across the company (analysis, engineering, product, and commercial) in unlocking value from our data.
As a data scientist at Panjiva, your responsibilities will include:
- Large-scale clustering entity resolution and fuzzy text matching
- Document classification via natural language processing
- Imputation of missing values
- Anomaly detection, trend prediction, and modeling on the global supply chain network
- Identification and evaluation of novel, complementary data sets
- Extracting insights from messy, usually un-labeled, data across multiple languages
- Work and speak with customers to build solutions catered to their needs
- Thorough understanding of statistical, analytical, and machine-learning techniques, including deep learning
- Ability to conduct independent and rigorous work from loose specifications
- Track record of providing valuable insights into large, multidimensional datasets
- Strong coding skills in a scripting language (Python preferred)
- Experience performing data analysis, modeling, and generating visualizations
- Basic understanding of relational databases and SQL
- Strong ability to communicate and visualize findings
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- Background in NLP and/or entity resolution
- Comfort with software development standard practices, including version control, unit testing, and code review
- Experience deploying and maintaining models in a production environment
- Fluency in C++ or Ruby
- Domain knowledge on international economics and trade
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $100,800 to $230,200. Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location. In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive plan.
This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires.
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence.
S&P Global has a Securities Disclosure and Trading Policy (“the Policy”) that seeks to mitigate conflicts of interest by monitoring and placing restrictions on personal securities holding and trading. The Policy is designed to promote compliance with global regulations. In some Divisions, pursuant to the Policy’s requirements, candidates at S&P Global may be asked to disclose securities holdings. Some roles may include a trading prohibition and remediation of positions when there is an effective or potential conflict of interest. Employment at S&P Global is contingent upon compliance with the Policy.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), IFTECH202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group), SWP Priority – Ratings - (Strategic Workforce Planning)