Networks at T. Rowe Price can be sponsored by the firm or built organically, over time. What are the perks of having a network at T. Rowe Price? And how do you find them? We asked our associates to share the benefits of "having your people around" and give advice on how to build those relationships.
Perks of a network fall into four buckets:
- A Facade Is Not Needed - In other words, you feel safe enough to be vulnerable. You do not filter your life to highlight solely the good, like a social post. We all want to bring our best selves to work, but some days are harder than others. An argument with a partner, an inconsiderate driver, news headlines, etc. can impact your mood before you log in. If you can confide in someone about an issue you’re having, at work, or outside of work, that person is part of your troupe.
- Support and Advice - Navigating careers, family, health, and wealth is challenging, and it can be difficult to face alone. A troupe will be there to offer advice, a much-needed laugh, and most importantly, a non-judgmental ear.
- The Truth Will Be Told - Troupe members support in public, and scold in private. They tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. And you listen because you know it’s coming from a genuine place. Did you bring a "C" effort to a Tier 1 project? Be prepared for a coffee chat the next morning. Your troupe will push you to be better, to go further, and then celebrate your achievement with you.
- T. Rowe Price Runs on Relationships – Imagine the benefit of having someone to call for help. Knowledge is readily available throughout the organization. Your manager, team, colleagues, and stakeholders are information sources you can tap. Upon arrival at the firm, you may stay close to your work team, but the richest relationships can also develop with people who, at first glance, have little in common with you.
Interested in finding your troupe? Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Sign up to play sports or join a club. There are running groups, softball teams, tennis, mixers and more. You’ll meet new people in different parts of the company and at all levels, build comradery and hopefully, find your troupe.
- Enrich the lives of others and the environment via community service. Our associates tutor students, beautify parks, and donate money to other worthy causes. Our ESG approach demonstrates our commitment to drive measurable and positive environmental impact where we have the power to do so.
- Participate in business resource groups (BRGs) to connect with associates across the company. Our BRGs create communities for Black, African American, Latinx and people of all cultural and ethnic backgrounds, as well as women and their allies, the LGBTQ+ community and military veterans and their families.
Finding a troupe at work can be an enriching experience, personally and professionally. Find your place and your troupe at T. Rowe Price.