Two things are inevitable when someone leaves your team at work: there will be an abundance of sweet treats (I'm partial to those giant cookie cakes from the mall) and there will be a card passed around for everyone to scrawl the professional version of sweet nothings in. Depending on the "importance" of the person, you may get the bonus activities of farewell gifts and/or an all-team champagne toast.
To avoid regressing to scrawling your yearbook-signing go-to—"HAGS" just doesn't work as well in a professional context, unfortunately—take a look at these farewell card examples for your departing coworker.
You'll find prewritten messages perfect for your leaving boss, for your direct report, for your retiring coworker, and for your cubicle-mate who loved a good prank. Whether it's for that guy you really didn't like very much or for a group card where you don't want any one voice to take precedent, here are some of my favorite farewell card quotes. Why say it yourself when you could borrow from Benjamin Franklin?
Example Farewell Card Messages for Your Boss
- Your new direct reports don't know how good they're about to have it. You've been an incredible boss and I wish you all the best in your new role.
- Thank you for showing me what greatness in action looks like. You've made a huge mark on me and I won't quickly forget that. Goodbye and good luck!
- When I started working for you, I thought I was getting a boss. I actually got a mentor, an advocate, and a role model. Thank you for teaching me everything I know and being so generous with your time. May your next team learn just as much!
- The team will be a little lost without you, but we're so excited for this next step of yours. I know you'll be successful in your new position. Thank you and good luck.
- You taught me how to lead, and I'll be forever grateful for that. Thank you for all you've done and good luck with all you're going to do.
Example Farewell Card Messages for Your Direct Report
- Few people work as hard as you do and get the results you get. I know I'll miss you on the team but I'm so excited to see all you'll accomplish in this new role. Best of luck and don't forget to send updates!
- I'm sad to see you go, but I know how excited you are about this opportunity, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. All best in this next step of life.
- You're something special—I knew that from your very first day. I hope our paths cross again and until then, keep charging ahead and creating all the impact you can. Farewell for now.
- Thank you for all you've done for this company and this team. It's been an honor to work with you. Don't be a stranger!
- Wishing you all the best in your new chapter. Thank you for being a part of our team and please do keep in touch.
Example Farewell Card Messages for Your Retiring Coworker
- Coworker. Friend. Mentor. You've been all those and more to me. I've been blessed to have had the chance to work with you and I wish you all the best in this new chapter in your life.
- If you miss us too much, you're always welcome to come right back, you know! The office will feel empty without you. Enjoy retirement—you have earned it.
- Time to sit back and relax! Whatever new adventures you find to fill your life, I wish you all the best. May you find joy, fulfillment, and not miss me too much.
- How does it feel? You've given so much to this place and I hope you're looking forward to a little break! Cheers to your retirement and relaxation.
- You've made incredible impact on this team, and your wisdom will be missed. I'm so happy for you, though, and this new step you're about to embark on. I wish you all the luck in retirement.
Funny Example Farewell Card Messages
- Rumor has it you're leaving. Were it my choice, you'd be here forever, chained alongside me, but since it seems like this is actually happening, best of luck out there and make me proud.
- Does this mean I can take over your cubicle? I hope so. I've already started.
- Holiday parties truly won't be the same without you, friend. Though the bar will certainly be less crowded, won't it? Cheers to you and to this next step.
- I've worked with many people, and I can honestly say: you were one of them. Thanks for that, and best of luck with your new coworkers.
- I'll miss you doing all the hard work around here. Will I actually have to try now?
Farewell Card Quotes
- "Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes." — Henry David Thoreau (for the discerning ex-English major)
- "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." – Semisonic (who doesn't love some 90s alt rock references?)
- "When you're finished changing, you're finished." — Benjamin Franklin (morbid, but applicable to someone taking on a new role)
- "Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do" – Pele (for the sports fan)
- "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." — A.A. Milne (for a coworker you truly adored)
- "Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending." -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (for a coworker you were lukewarm on; what does this even mean?)
Good Luck & Goodbye
Keep your farewell message short, not too sappy, and above all, legible. No one wants to have to drag over a magnifying glass or involve a graphologist to decipher your message on their last day!